I don't know about you, but I'm no fool, am I?
The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."
The Bible gives us plenty of characteristics of the fool. The word ‘fool”, is found in 62 verses of scripture; The word "fools" plural, is found 42 times; the word "foolish" 52 times; and "foolishness" 20 times. So the bible doesn’t just give a cursory glance at the subject, but has a lot to say about fools or foolishness. Scriptures references them 176 times… over and over again.
Not so that we are able to spot a fool when we cross paths with one, but that we might spot these characteristics in our own hearts and lives.
Now, to be fair, all of us do foolish things from time to time.
It was Aristotle who said, “There is a foolish corner in the brain of even the wisest person.”
I know I have had my moments…but doing foolish things doesn’t make you a fool, its those who make foolishness a lifestyle, a Routine, their standard for living. Then you can go out and buy yourself the Tee shirt!
So what does the bible say, constitutes a FOOL?
The word “fool” comes from a Greek word which get out English word MORON. It means EMPTY OR USELESS.
Here are just a few verses that determine God's definition of a fool:
- Psalm 14:1… The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." So a fool is someone who goes about life not believing in God! Acting and living as though He doesn’t exist.
- Proverbs 1:7 says; The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. So a fool is someone who rejects the wisdom and instruction that comes from Gods word. Instruction that tells them.
- Proverbs 1:22,32… “How long will you who are simple love your simple ways? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge? So a fool is someone who also cares little to aquiring spiritual knowledge and understanding –They hate anything to do with church or bible study.
- Proverbs 10:14,18…The wise store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin. ( punches ) One translation says, the mouth of a fool invites punches. A fool is always talking and the things they say invite chaos. Proverbs 10: 18…says “Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spreads slander… is a fool.” a fools heart is filled with hatred….and they reveal this by lying and slandering people. * To slander someone is to make accusation against them without verifying that it’s true…
- Proverbs 10:23, A fool finds pleasure in wicked schemes, but a person of understanding delights in wisdom. Fools find pleasure in mischief – and wicked schemes. * Mischief in the Bible is anything that is harmful to another person. * We think of mischief as something that is funny, but in the Bible it’s a serious sin. * Mischief is one of the seven abominations that God warns us about in Prov. 6:18.
- Proverbs 12:15-16… The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice. 16 Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult. So a fool will not listen to advice…or receive sound instruction… they reveal their annoyance with are hot tempered…quick to fly off the handle–
- Proverbs 15:5… A fool spurns a parent's discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence. A fool is disrespectful to parents and despises discipline.
- And last but not least…. Proverbs 21:20 There is desirable treasure, And oil in the dwelling of the wise, But a foolish man squanders it. Wise people plan ahead, they think about the future…but a Fool only lives for the moment.